RE: Roller Rockers and Tappet Noise

To: "Jeff Boatright" <jboatri@emory.edu>, "Brian Doody" <Brian.Doody@digital.com>
Subject: RE: Roller Rockers and Tappet Noise
From: "Robert Weeks" <lists@woozy.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 14:47:31 -0500
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
For what it's worth, when I had my head redone with hardened seats and new
valves to be an unleaded head, the valves sounded much louder than before.
No amount of regapping changed the tappet sound. However, I'm happy to
report, this quieted back down after 500 miles or so.

For the record I have standard (non roller) rockers, NorthWest Imports hot
street cam and a lead free head.

Good luck,

Robert Weeks

http://www.woozy.com              <-----work
http://www.woozy.com/midget       <-----car
http://www.losermagnet.com        <-----digital photography

At 10:39 AM +0000 12/20/99, Brian Doody wrote:
>Midget & Sprite Club - http://www.mgcars.org.uk/midgetspriteclub
>
>Folks,
>
>While on the subject of roller rockers
>I have just fitted a 1.5 set to my '67 Sprite 1275
>its also got a new Kent 266 cam + followers + new Mini Sports stage 2
>unleaded head.
>
>I had a lot of trouble with the rockers hitting the rocker cover
>but thats sorted now.
>
>HOwever AT the recommended TAPPET gap of .016" (.40mm) the valver clatter
>is very loud - it doesnt sound right - is this normal??
>Ive re-adjusted them over and over but to no avail
>the car is only used on the road and not abused - do I really need so big a
>gap?
>or is something else wearing ???
>
>regards,
>Brian

>PARTS DIRECT from sears.com
>Order the Right Part, Right Here, Right Now. Search our
>comprehensive database by model for parts, owner's manuals,
>diagrams, schematics, and more online. Shop
>http://www.listbot.com/links/sears5 for over 400 manufacturers:
>Whirlpool, GE, Maytag, Frigidaire, Sony, Kenmore, and Craftsman!

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Assistant Professor, Emory Eye Center
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
http://www.molvis.org/molvis