Another ignotion prob - won't go away

To: "Spridgets list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Another ignotion prob - won't go away
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 23:51:22 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Dear List:

Now that I'm back, I had a chance to charge the battery on the Midget. Now
it cranks a hell of a lot faster, but still won't start.  And I'm still
getting the loud backfiring through the tailpipe.  Checked the grounding
strap, and it was connected well, but covered with oil.  Cleaned off the
oil.  Still making good connections at the battery terminals.  Only things I
haven't checked are the alternator output (local Autozone doesn't have the
testing equipment) and voltage across the battery terminals (don't own a
multimeter).  I am using a brand new distributor cap, rotor, and tried a new
coil.  I am running electronic ignition.

What next, before I a) start replacing expensive parts and wiring in a fit
of frustration or b) take it to my local overpriced LBC mechanic?

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
'68 Sprite