Re: Fw: Title/Plates Cost

To: Bushwacker4@prodigy.net, Spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fw: Title/Plates Cost
From: IfixMGs@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 19:43:35 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
      Tags in Virginia are only $26 per year, and vanity tags add another
$10... but.... an annual $25 City Sticker, and  a yearly "personal property
tax" based on a percentage of the book value jack up the cost of owning a car
in VA. Most pre 75 personal prop taxes are $12; but the new Lincoln is about
$1000 in VA Beach annually for first 3 then drops to $800 for a while. The
annual inspection fee is $10.
       Gov Allen is on a rampage to phase it out.... a few percent at a time,
 over the next twenty years, or whenever the car is scrapped,  whichever
comes first..... My 87 Mustang runs about $85 a year.  First four years it
was well over $200, then dropped to $150 for next 8 years. The pers prop tax
added $2000 to the cost of the car over the past 12 years.....
Additionally, we pay 4% sales tax, and a $38 registration fee for new cars.
      Antique plates are exempt from pers prop taxes, state insp, and require
a one-time only registration fee.  Terry Bond, an AACA pro-activist from
Chesapeake petitioned the state house of reps to enact a new Antique tag law.
For cars in the 25+ bracket, Antique tags no longer limit drives to club
events and parades.  Now they can be used year round, within 250 miles (round
trip?) of home, but can't be used on antique cars for hire.  I think the new
"forever tags" are $50.
 Mark Childers
 58ZB Magnette
 63 Midg
 70B
 72B
 74-1/'2B
 87 5.0/5Spd Saleen prepped Mustang GT
and various and sundry hotrods,  trucks, boats, and American roadtrip cars
not worthy of note.....