Rich and lean: Solved!

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetspriteclub@listbot.com
Subject: Rich and lean: Solved!
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 00:26:04 -0500
Spridgeteers:

Thanks for all the help on this one. The problem did indeed turn out
to be a failed gasket. A quarter inch piece of gasket, directly below
the rear intake throat, was blown out. I installed a new gasket, one
with two fibrous layers sandwiching a metal insert, with no goo as
suggested by many listers. The result after resetting the carbs is a
decent idle at 800 rpm. Oddly, both jets are only 6 flats down from
being flush with their bridges. This seems like it should be too
lean, but I bracketed the settings from too rich to too lean, and
they appear to be spot on as per the lift-the-piston test.

Thank you to all who made suggestions.

Jeff
Jeff Boatright    __o_\__           '65 Austin-Healey Sprite
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html