Poppet Valve Thanks and Progress Report

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Poppet Valve Thanks and Progress Report
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 18:51:34 -0600
A big thank you to the list for the great advice concerning soldering up
the poppet valves on my HS2 (AUD549) carb throttle plates.  I got a decent
gun from my dad, took the throttle plates out of the carbs (duh) and went
to town.  I think they came out pretty decent.

But a serious problem persists - the car races along at around 3000 RPM and
sometimes drops for a few seconds and then races back up no matter what I
do.  From various things I've heard on the list and looked into here, I
think the problem may lie in the throttle plates.  I don't get a good seat
top and bottom when the throttle is closed - there is daylight both at
12:00 and at 6:00 on the throttle plate.  I experimented to see if I had it
in upside down or backwards, but everything left the same bad seating.
Would this cause such an RPM problem?  BTW, I have extremely little to no
throttle shaft wiggle.

Another symptom - carburetor backfire (though adjusting of the jets seemed
to mitigate that away.  Can radically too weak or rich a mixture result in
carb backfire?

So, I went to VB (15 min away) and bought some new old style plates with no
poppet valves.  Same bad fit.  I have an extra set of HS2s (AUD404) though
they need some serious cleaning up to be able to use.  But the throttle
plates fit very snugly in these.  Took out the plates and put in the old
style plates I just bought - also fit snug.  I'm beginning to think that
there is a slight but important difference between AUD549 carburetors and
all others.  This would fit with the VB catalog which shows a different
part number for AUD549 and then the same for AUD404, 328, and 266.

I'm going to try to see if I have any other good sets of carbs over at my
dad's with my projects.  If I've got a clean set, I would just as soon bolt
them on, get running and continue to work on this other set with list
advice.  This is my daily driver we are talking about after all.  :)

Thanks for wading through the verbage, but I wanted to say thanks and give
a full picture of where I'm still struggling.

Philip
1974 Damask Red Midget - Arioch, Lord of Chaos
1960 BRG Bugeye Sprite - First up for restoration
1973 Damask Red Midget - Project car for sale