Re: Stuck brake

To: sl@eyequip.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stuck brake
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 15:51:38 EST
In a message dated 1/17/00 3:23:33 PM Eastern Standard Time, sl@eyequip.com
writes:

<< I am ready to attempt my first "repair" on my bugeye.  I think my left rear
 brake is stuck.  It seems as though the emergency brake release feel funny
 when I release it. Also when I step on the brakes the car drifts to the
 right as though the left rear is not doing anything. I drove it a few
 blocks, smelled a burring smell and went straight home.

 Should I just pull the wheel off and see what I can see or is there
 something simple and obvious (I hope) I need to look at first.  Something
 like the emergency brake release is stuck or something. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Welcome to the joys of LBC ownership.  A word of caution first...if you don't
know what you are doing, the brakes may not be the best place to start
working on your car.  If you have a fundamental knowledge of how the brakes
work on cars in general, and have worked on cars before, forget the last
sentence.

First thing is to get a decent service manual on your car.  Haynes or Bentley
are the best and contain all you need to know.

Jack the car up and support it on a jack stand.  Do not use a cinder block or
the jack alone to hold up the car.  Take the wheel off and pull the brake
drum according to the directions in the manual.  I have a '77 Midget, so my
car is different than yours.  Look for brake fluid leaks which indicate a bad
wheel cylinder or brake hose.  Look at the general condition of everything
inside the drum.  Rust, greasy parts, things hanging loose, are all bad signs.

Yes, the handbrake cable can cause this problem.  If everything looks okay
inside the drum, disconnect the handbrake cable and see if the car still
pulls to the right.  (Make sure you adjust the rear brakes before driving the
car.)  You can try the cable with it disconnected just to see if it moves in
and out of the sheathing.

If you don't know when the brakes were renewed on your car, you should
consider replacing all the shoes, cutting the drums, and replacing the brake
fluid with new Castrol LMA fluid.  If you see ANY leaking of wheel cylinders
or torn rubber seals, replace the wheel cylinders too.  Check the flexible
brake hoses for crakes and replace if not perfect.  While you are replacing
stuff, all new brake hardware is a good idea.

Remember, if the car won't start you have a problem.  If the car won't stop,
you have a MUCH bigger problem.  Write back with your progress.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport