Re: Hot Catalyst

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hot Catalyst
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 10:13:58 -0500
Allen -

Too lean makes the >>engine<< run hotter, but too rich makes the
catalytic converter run hotter.  A CatCon works by "burning"
(technically, oxidizing) unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust stream, by
passing them through a hot catalytic matrix.  The richer the fuel, the
more unburned hydrocarbons, the more burning goes on in the catylist,
the hotter the CatCon gets.

Actually, a number of cars have passed the emissions standards with the
catalytic converters removed.  The early VW Rabbits had a Federally
approved recall to "gut" the CatCons because the cars ran cleaner
without them, and the converters posed a fire hazard.

I don't live in a "non attainment" area, but just for fun, I had a
friend do a "sniffer" test on my '77 Midget (no CatCon, PaceSetter
header system, stock ZS carb with different needle).  It was cleaner
than the standard.

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net