MkIII update

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: MkIII update
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 03:17:24 EST
Hi List,

Well it has been several months since the Mk III came out of the trailer and
progress is slow.  Have a couple of questions then will give an update for
those interested.

The engine that we are building up for this car is a 12CD and is newer than
any of our other engines.  Question one: the rods have self locking nuts and
the bolts for the mains are just torqued down, there are no locking tabs on
any of these bolts or nuts.  Is this the way the later engines were done?

This was an air pump engine and the head has "air injection" holes.  Can we
just plug these holes with some appropriate threaded plug?  Should a sealer
be used and if so what kind?

Now to the update.  About 98% of the parts are cataloged and entered in a
database.  Parts that need re-chroming are sorted and waiting to go to the
plater.  Likewise the aluminum parts that need polishing and re-anodized are
sorted.  The 5-speed and adapter has been prefitted on the engine and that
assembly has been pre-fitted in the car.  We did have to bend the heater duct
a little and still have to pry bar it in the last 1/32 of an inch.  Will bend
the duct a little more before painting.  Rivergate's instructions have you
mount their two part rear transminssion mount prior to installation.  This
makes it very hard to get the mounting bolts installed.  We are currently
planning on leaving one half in the car and the other half on the
transmission.  We have to talk to Rivergate about doing it this way.

We opened the 1275 up this evening.  Have not taken a mic to it yet but from
a first look  there are no apparent scars or ridges in the cylinders.  The
rod and main bearings have almost no wear.  There was some coolent in number
four but it may have just run in since the head was loose.  The "oil" is very
slick and am guessing that it is synthetic although it has been sitting for
over eight years.

The biggest hang up is deciding on the body and interior colors.  Do we leave
it the original (quick and cheaper) but for us less desirable color or do we
repaint the entire car (more expensive) and if so what color.   Repeat for
the interior.  We have colors that we do not care for but do not have any
color(s) that are exciting us for this particular car.

It is fairly certain that it will not be ready for Spridgetstock so we will
bring the bugeye.

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV indiguise)
1966(7) Sprite Mk III (in progress)