License plates, differentials, and such

To: "Spridgets List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: License plates, differentials, and such
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 20:59:03 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Hello fellow listers,

Finally the long wait is over.  I placed an order for a set of Lake Tahoe
personalized plates that read "SPRITE" back in July.  You may remember I
went to receive them in September, and the inmate who made them evidently
had an affinity for left justification.   DMV told me that the order would
be resubmitted and I'd have them in 4-6 weeks.  Well, December came around
and still no plates.  I called the special plates office in Sack-a-tomato
and they told me that the plates had never been reordered!  Well that got
straightened out, and lo and behold, the new plates with SPRITE centered
were in my mailbox today!!!  Now I just need to get the little guy painted.
He's "calico" right now (Bondo, primer, burgundy and spots of yellow).  I've
been meaning to get the car to a paint shop, but keep putting it off.  Maybe
seeing everyone else's Spridgets on Sunday at breakfast will get me
motivated.

Speaking of differentials, how hard is it to replace the crown and pinion
gear?  I think that's what wrong with my old differential, which is now
sitting on the rear end of my dad's Sprite.  In fact, we just swapped axles.
I need to get him one to get his '65 Sprite going.  If all else fails,
anyone have a 3.7 or 3.9 diff they'd like to part with?  Or, does anyone
know the ratio on the limited slips on the RX-7 axles that have been cut
down?   I've got a 4.22 on my Sprite.  I beat everyone off of the line, but
I'm in 3rd gear a block from the light!!!  Highway driving is an exercise in
redline management, even with the Datsun 5 speed.

Hope everyone back east is keeping warm.  I won't say anything about our
sunny 60 degree weather out here...

Greg Gowins
'69 Sprite
Dublin, CA