Re: NEW AHCUSA

To: type79@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: NEW AHCUSA
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 14:55:47 -0500
Cc: "Hanna, Mark" <mhanna@ball.com>, "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, toyman@htcomp.net
1) The list cannot speak for the copyrights of any individual, just
because they participate on the list.  This particularly applies to work
published in other forums.

2) The article in question wasn't on the list, it was on PDLJMPR, which
is a Web publication, not associated with the list (though a lot of list
folks hang out there).

3) The item used was appearantly well beyond "a tech-tip", and ran all
over the concept of "fair use"

Not getting the magazine, I don't know whether Frank was given credit
for authorship, but if not, there's a clear copyright violation here.
Even if attribution is given, permission should have been secured in
advance.

If I were Frank, they'd be getting a nastygram from my lawyer,
especially if this isn't the first time.

Now some people, like you, might be willing to pay for having someone
scan the web and lists and cull out useful stuff for you, but not
everyone is.  In addition, I'd have a real problem >>paying<< for a
publication (non-profit or not) that grabs entire articles without
compensation to the author.

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net