Re: Understanding copyright

To: <b-evans@ix.netcom.com>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Understanding copyright
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 12:50:05 -0500
Again - not that I really care - but I was right!!

>From the myth site listed below!!
--------------------
"They e-mailed me a copy, so I can post it."
                            To have a copy is not to have the copyright.
All the E-mail you write is copyrighted. However, E-mail is not, unless
previously agreed,
                            secret. So you can certainly report on what
E-mail you are sent, and reveal what it says. You can even quote parts of
it to demonstrate.
                            Frankly, somebody who sues over an ordinary
message would almost surely get no damages, because the message has no
commercial
                            value, but if you want to stay strictly in
the law, you should ask first. On the other hand, don't go nuts if
somebody posts E-mail you
                            sent them. If it was an ordinary non-secret
personal letter of minimal commercial value with no copyright notice
(like 99.9% of all
                            E-mail), you probably won't get any damages
if you sue them. Note as well that, the law aside, keeping private
correspondence private
                            is a courtesy one should usually honour.

>>and just to CMA this is also from that site:

                     Permission is granted to freely copy (unmodified)
this document (or rather its most up to date version from
                     http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html) in
non-webpage electronic form, or in print in schools and to small groups.
On the WWW,
                     however, you must link here rather than put up your
own page. If you had not seen a notice like this on the document, you
would have to
                     assume you did not have permission to copy it. This
document is still protected by you-know-what even though it has no
copyright notice. Please
                     don't send mail asking me if you can link here --
you can do so, without asking or telling me.
---------------------

Prob couldn't win in court tho - LOL

The Real Larry

At this exact moment in time 2/9/00 10:12 AM, b-evans@ix.netcom.com made
the profound statement:

>Professional wordsmiths often get tired and frustrated by the public's
>lack of understanding of copyright.  Anyone who wishes to speak of
>copyrights would do well to review the below sites:
>
>The Copyright Office
>
>     http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/
>
>Outline of links to U.S. copyright law
>
>     http://www.rootsweb.com/~mikegoad/html/code.htm