Re: trailer

To: Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: trailer
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 20:17:57 -0600
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Ajhsys@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/10/00 5:35:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> conan@ralvm8.vnet.ibm.com writes:
>
> <<     Ed in NC
>   Wow... Did I actually say something useful??  ;-) >>
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Almost.
>
> Actually, the ride height shouldn't matter very much with a tow dolly.  As I
> remember, the ramps flip up under the car when the front wheels move ahead of
> the pivot point.  The ramps will only go as far as the can, and the weight of
> the car holds them in place.  You then strap over the front tires to hold the
> whole thing together.
>
> BTW, don't try to back up when using a tow dolly.  The car'll go one way, the
> dolly another.  I can't imagine driving a tendem tractor trailor for a living.
>
> Allen Hefner

        I can certainly attest to this. I got a real bad impression of NJ
(sorry, Frank :)when they wouldn't let me on the GS parkway with a
U-Haul and my old SLAAB on a dolly. I had to go down highway 1 (?)
during the apparent peak of orange cone season along many poorly marked
detours. I had to back up a couple of times when I reached an unmarked
end of the highway. There is seemingly no correct way to do that, and
once I thought I was going to tear the front wheels off the car! IMHO,
flatbeds are worth the coin.
--

MCMLXIX Sprite: Driving a slow car quickly.
1987 RX-7 TII: Driving a fast car slowly.

-