Re: Electronic Ignition dizzy

To: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Subject: Re: Electronic Ignition dizzy
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 00:00:47 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
> Can anyone offer some advice regarding the electronic ignition distributor
> in the 1500 Midge?

  If you are still running the original "lump on the side"
distributor, then it must be one of the last on earth.

  According to John Twist:

http://www.namgbr.org/namgbr/driver.htm

  ...he says none are still in use. Mine was working up until
1997, which I thought was pretty good.

> If there is a problem with the dizzy, what choices do I have as a solution?

  Install an aftermarket electronic ignition, like a Crane
or a pertronix.

> Later, I'm going try connecting an "A" series dizzy just to see if I can
> get a spark out of that.

  Yap. And if you have a spare, carry that in the trunk.

  One problem with having an electronic distributor that
was NEVER a point distributor is that you can't replace
the points if the module dies.

  My pertronix died, and I had to go home and pull a distributor
out of another car to get it home.

  A totally clapped out distributor makes a good trunk
spare and should be easy to find in a buddy's junk bin.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca