WIERD! no difference but it's still on!

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: WIERD! no difference but it's still on!
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 20:02:32 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Alternator was flaking for a while there.
Every once in a great while I would notice my head lights get really bright.
Well after installing a voltmeter I can attribute that happenstance to
the regulator going up to 20 + volts
I'd pull over... (slowing the engine) wait a second and it would recover.
Back up to speed..volt meter at 13-15 volts....  a ok

Well tonight I noticed the idiot light on... volt meter reading 12 volts
rev it to 12-1500... nothing. run up to 3Krpm... it goes out.   ...
Nope...no good it's now back on.

Ok.... drove it home from work half on charging...half on battery.
Swiped the alternator out of the midget and stuck it in the B.
Well even at an idle, the alternator is kicking out 13.8-14.01 volts.
BUT THE LIGHT IS STILL ON!

I've checked the white ckt wiring all the way back from the idiot light, to
the
ignition switch, to the fuel pump, to the O/D harness, to the tach, and to
the coil.

At the ign. switch both the brn and WHT ckts have 14.01 on them.

I'm under the impression there is a electrical block connector that ties
all the WHTs  together somewhere under the dash that the ign. sw. WHT wire
goes to.
That block is also the connection for the other WHT feeds.

QUESTION: If the WHT wire was coming loose at the block wouldn't
a higher resistance here at this connection only limit the voltage through
the
idiot light. If limited...why would it glow?

Paul Tegler  wizardz@toad.net        http://www.teglerizer.com
OBie - '73 BGT - daily driver
http://www.teglerizer.com/mgstuff/ob_description.htm
Punkin' - '78 Spitfire - corner ripping screamer
http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/spit78.htm
Lil' Greenee - '73 RWA Midget - lady killer
http://www.teglerizer.com/midgetstuff/index.html