Bittersweet drive (longish, but good reading)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, PhAX@eng.kns.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Bittersweet drive (longish, but good reading)
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 17:43:51 EST
It was almost warm today, so I decided to take the Midget out for a drive and
check out the starter. (Or vice versa.)  I haven't driven it since Larry
Macy's holiday party in December, and the starter was acting up then.  I
fully charged the battery a few weeks ago, because I wanted to make sure it
just wasn't a low batt. causing the problem.

Got in the Midget this morning and it started right up.  (I think I heard it
say, "Where have you been?")  No hint of a problem.  Pulled it out of the
garage and rinsed it off to clean away the garage dust.  Ready for a nice
drive, I got in, and it started right up again.  I figure it was just a low
batt. and off I went.

Headed up some back roads from Abington, PA to Doylestown (county seat of
Bucks County!) and picked up route 611 from Main St., then cut over to the
East toward Point Pleasant.  I'm bopping along at about 60 and a small Asian
car pulls out in front of me from a side street.  It was fully legal, he had
plenty of room, but I didn't know if he was going to go the speed limit (45!)
the whole way, and since it was a passing zone (one of the few passing zones
left in PA) I used it to the fullest.  Nice roar from the exhaust and I was
at 75.  (This is just fiction in case any local police are reading.)

It turns out the little Asian car driver (think it was an old Honda) was a
sporting type.  He let me pass (not that there was anything he could do about
it) and then he tried to pace me as we headed for the Delaware River.  (Cue
the music.)  I held it at around 70, twisting thru the esses, and he did
pretty good at keeping up, until we caught up with a slow pickup truck.  I
turned right at the bottom of the hill (pickup went straight) onto Route 32
(River Rd.) and so did the Honda, but then he turned into a shop.  He gave me
a flash of his headlights as I pulled away.  Nice touch.  He should be
driving an LBC.

Now I'm blasting (well, maybe about 50) down River Rd.  Thank the Maker that
traffic was light today so I could have fun.  I guess everybody was home
doing income tax. (Which reminds me...)  Passed a RBB (Late model, Rubber
Bumper MGB for you non-LBCers out there.) coming north and gave him a wave,
but he didn't acknowledge me.  I think it's a law in some states that you
must wave or flash lights when passing another sports car...at least it used
to be.

Got into New Hope and turned right, headed toward Peddlers Village.  Lots of
people looking at the pretty RED '77 MG Midget!  Traffic slows to a crawl on
the weekends at Ped. Vil, so I pulled into the parking lot to pick up some
popcorn from the Nut Kettle. (Good stuff.)  Parked on a hill, just in case.

Came out and the Midget starts right up.  What a car!  This starter thing
must be fixed!  (NOT!  Keep reading!)  Head south again, toward home.  I'm at
about 60 miles today so far.  Have to pick up a few things, so I go to the
Wal Mart.  Came out (Famous Amos cookies were on sale), turned the key and
CLICK!  Nada...Done...History...same starter problem I was having before.
I'm on a slight hill, so I drift down, put it in second a pop the clutch.  It
starts right up.

Not willing to chance another non-start, I head back to the garage.  I stop
outside the garage so I can open the door, and have to shut down the Midget
to use the other key.  Same problem...CLICK...no joy!  Pop the clutch on the
driveway and park the Midget in the garage.

Since the solenoid is clicking (it was new last year, along with all new
cables) it must be the brushes in the starter hitting a dead spot.  I hooked
up the battery charger to see the state of discharge, and the meter hardly
went up at all.  The battery is charged.  Chances are it is the original
starter because the Midget only has 44K miles in 23 years.  I have the
replacement starter that I just got, so it looks like I will be replacing the
starter rather than autocrossing tomorrow.

All in all, it was still a good day.  I'm not disappointed in the Midget at
all.  It has a problem and I will fix it.  Starters are easy.  (I just wish
my hands were smaller!)

I hope your day went half as nicely as mine!  You Philly SCCA people, enjoy
the autocross.  I'll get to the next one.

Allen Hefner #51
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
2000 Regional Rally Achievement Award Winner!
'77 MG Midget (FSP)
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport (HS)