Re: Fuel Economy

To: HFC <froggi@cdsnet.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Economy
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 07:27:06 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
I reported my mileage based on several (20+) tanks. Also, I reported
based on combined city/highway driving without sparing the horses
(gerbils?). This is a good index of economy IMO because it is real
world. I couldn't care less what someone's mileage is if it's based
on a series of drives determined to get the _best_ mileage. Who can
and does drive that way all the time (OK, my Dad does, but that's his
form of fun driving).

As it stands, my 200k mile Sprite returns much better mileage and has
lower required maintenance costs than my wife's '95 Saturn with 40k
miles on it. Given, the Sprite cannot hold two people, but that is a
feature, not a bug.

Jeff

At 7:20 PM -0800 2/29/00, HFC wrote:
>Fellow Spridgeteers,
>
>I find it amusing our discussing economy and Spridgets in the same
>text.  Somewhat of an oxymoron I'd say.  Seriously, who among you
>actually drives your car in a manner that yields the best fuel mileage
>on a regular basis, or regular enough to actually tell?  I'm not talking
>one tank, but three perhaps four tanks full.  That's the only way to
>actually tell.  Then you've got the "in town" and "highway" thing to
>plug into the equation....
>
>Personally, I drive for fun and damn the mileage!  It is a sports car...
>if you want economy buy a Miata!
>
>WFO Herb
>Keep the sticky side down!

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Assistant Professor, Emory Eye Center, Atlanta, GA, USA
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision, http://www.molvis.org/molvis
mailto:jboatri@emory.edu