Re: bugeye windshield

To: Glen Byrns <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: bugeye windshield
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 09:26:46 -0800 (PST)
There should be a lot in the archives from last year.
I went thru this determined to do it myself and ended
up at the glass shop.  $35 later, it was installed,
and the shop made me swear to never bring the
windshield into their shop again.  Some listers have
had luck with this, some have not.  When Frank C., who
can pull an engine in 35 minutes (literally), told me
to have someone else do it, I should have listened.
The biggest problem it seemed was shi.., I mean,
substandard parts.  The large seal/gasket from Mini
Mania was no good, and the "guaranteed to fit"
windshield was also a little off, but in a different
direction.  Who knows if maybe my frame was bad too?
It's in now, prob'ly the best $35 I spent all year
last year.

--- Glen Byrns <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> Well I looked in the archives and didn't find any
> tips on doing your own
> bugeye windshield replacement.
> It looks pretty straightforward, in from the back,
> gasket into frame first,
> soaped cord into slot, glass pressed against gasket,
> cord pulled from slot
> to raise lip of gasket , lock strip pressed into
> place.
> What am I missing?
>
> Putting on a new windshield to body seal is a joy,
> tried sliding it into the
> soaped slot, NO WAY!  Now I'm trying to push the 'T'
> channel part into the
> groove with a screw driver blade an inch at a time.
> Whooppee.  Should be
> done by August.
>
> Any advice from someone who's been there would be
> appreciated.
>

>    Regards, Glen Byrns

=====
Ron Soave