Re: Stopping Spam

To: pasgeirsson@juno.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stopping Spam
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 06:24:23 EST
In a message dated 3/7/2000 12:26:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
pasgeirsson@juno.com writes:

<< PROBLEM: Your ISP is supposed to block junk e-mails, but you
 still get lots of spam.

 SOLUTION: Check out Brightmail
 ( http://cgi.zdnet.com/slink?25061:4599045 ),
 a free service for homes and small businesses that filters
 incoming e-mail for spam. Brightmail even stores the
 offending messages on its server just in case you want to
 see what's being blocked. >>

HMMMMM!  I went there and was wondering if I really wanted all my e-mail to
be sent through a 3rd party.  Seems awfully Big Brotherish to me.  Kind of
like a letter I have that was sent from a relative in Germany just after the
2nd World War to another relative here in the States.  The letter had been
opened and read for content before leaving Germany.  If this is done, it
seems to me I would be exposing all my online business and personal mail, and
all the addresses of those whom I correspond with to public purveyance.
Maybe best to just delete the junk for me. But thanks, Paul, for sending the
idea!

--David C.