Re: dashpot oil

To: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>, "shawn tobin" <suhs2@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: dashpot oil
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:29:32 -0600
Cc: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Charles,
        My understanding is that with a heavier oil the piston rises more slowly
such that the venturi opening is smaller in ratio to the throttle plate
opening than it would be with lighter oil. The smaller venturi opening
draws more fuel per air volume enrichening the mixture during rapid
acceleration, which is when you need it. I believe your are correct that
constant speed is not the issue.
        This is my un-educated, non-degreed conception of the process. I'm sure
there are more lucid descriptions available among listers. Why are you
going through so much oil? Our technique at a dealership I worked for was
to fill the dampers, screw on the top, push the carb piston up, and
whatever squirts out of the vent hole and into your eye shouldn't have been
there... what is left is the correct amount.
        YMMV    Peter C