Rostyle paint (was Re: dem's da ...

To: Ajhsys@aol.com, DLancer7676@cs.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Rostyle paint (was Re: dem's da ...
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 10:12:55 -0800 (PST)
I just painted the B's last weekend, with excellent
results.  My method (baking between coats at 350 was
good too, until the Mrs. noticed):

1) Blast
2) 400 grit sand, prep with solva-prep or whatever
it's called
3) Krylon primer
4) Krylon metallic silver (looks concours original)
5) wait a day
6) carefully mask black area with 3M blue painter's
masking tape.  trim with xacto, don't even THINK about
the cheesy plastic Rostyle mask - I did a wheel for
laughs that way once.  You'll be sorry.
7)Spray Krylon black semi-flat
8) Wait a day, then 2 coats of Krylon clear.

This is not the usual Moss rant, but the expensive
wheel paint was shit.  The spray nozzle was awful, and
when I tried to salvage 2 cans ($12 a pop) by using
them on the backside, BOTH died within a few seconds.
Looking at the colors, I am sure Krylon makes the Moss
paint, but the nozzle was definitely different.

--- Ajhsys@aol.com wrote:
> Standard Time, David C. writes:
>
> << >Speaking of wheels, guys--I am going to
> sandblast my Rostyles for
> repainting
>  >and baking.  Question about sandblasting--Should I
> avoid the sealing inner
>  >lip of the rims when sandblasting or will that not
> disturb the sealing
> nature
>  >of the lip?  Seems like if there is rust there it
> might help it to blast off
>  >the rust.  Or does the blasting and repainting
> process restore the seal?
>  > >>

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> I missed this part of your post.  I had my Rostyles
> sandblasted when I got
> the Midget.  They were fairly rusty, including the
> spare, which had rust on
> the sealing bead.  When the tire shop installed the
> new tires he put a
> sealing goo around the bead and there are no leaks.
> Very easy.
>
> One word of warning.  The Rostyles will begin to
> rust very quickly after you
> blast them.  Make sure you treat them with some kind
> of rust inhibitor stuff
> before priming and painting.  It is very difficult
> to get paint into the
> crevices of the wheels, so treat them first.
>
> Thanks to Chuck Christ for warning me of this a year
> ago.
>
> Allen Hefner
> SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
> '77 Midget
> '92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport

=====
Ron Soave
"By trying we can easily learn to endure adversity. Another man's, I mean." -
Mark Twain

Yes, the Yahoo message below annoys me too.