Brake master cylinder Continued

To: "'Majordomo, Spridgets List'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake master cylinder Continued
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 08:15:37 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
I may be nuts but the thing I do every fall (and lately every spring) is
pressure bleed my brake fluid from the Sprite.  Since I store the car over
our Chicago winters and only drive it in the summer I found out years ago
that water in the form of condensation can play hell with our cast iron
cylinders. Since DOT4 is still relatively cheap I just go to the local Trak
and get 4 or 5 pints and do a complete 4 wheel and clutch cylinder fluid
change using my Easybleed. Recently I have gotten into the mode of changing
the fluid when I take the car out of storage and when I put it away for the
winter.  This may seem like overkill and once a year may be fine. Over the
last 15 year or so using this system the fluid coming out of the car after
the winter storage is still pretty clear.  The fluid after the summer usage
turns dark. While this doesn't degrade the fluid it still indicates
something going on and therefore I replace it. About 15 years ago I rebuilt
my dual master cylinder and "honed" out some small pits and scratches.
About 8 years ago I removed the master cylinder for a check up and found the
cylinders were still OK. This is with the original master cylinder, 1965
vintage.
John Gronberg
> SIEMENS Building Technologies, Inc.
1000 Deerfield Parkway