What's that sizzling sound?

To: "Spridgets list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: What's that sizzling sound?
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 18:17:34 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Dear List:

Business as usual with the Midget this morning.  I got up early with a
sunrise drive in mind, and sure enough, I had difficuty starting.  A
sizzling, rattling noise filled my ears, and with dread, I took a peek under
the bonnet.  The good news is that my starter didn't die, as I have been
expeting it to imminently.  But rather, the solenoid connection to the
starter had fried.  And boy did it fry... not just the insulation, but half
of the eyelet fitting had been vaporized.  At first I wondered how I could
have been so thoughtless as to forget to tighten up the connection when I
replaced it last year, but then I saw that the entire post on the solenoid
had fallen apart, and the unit would need to be replaced.

Someone thought I was being a little overcautious for carrying around a
spare solenoid in the boot.  Well, HA!

After about an hour of trying to remove the old solenoid (the bolts had
frozen and needed to be drilled out) I was up and running again.  Now for
the question:

On a negative ground car, can I fit the pre-'67 or pre-'68 solenoid with a
pushbutton?  Is the bolt-pattern the same, and will it orient the same way?
Is the older solenoid for positive ground only?

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
'68 Sprite