Speedometer problem

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speedometer problem
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 10:37:31 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Yesterday my speedo went out again after the car warmed up.  As I was
driving, I unscrewed the cable from the back of the speedo and it was not
turning.  Felt frozen solid.  This morning, cold, it was turning normally.
It seems that where the cable near-misses the turbo exhaust the cable is
getting heated up and then it freezes in place until it cools.  Since the
speedo drive gear isn't stripped, I assume that the speedo drive gear on the
tranny output shaft must be a slip fit that allows slippage if there is
enough resistance downstream in the cable and/or speedo.

Is this the case?  If so, then a new cable, some heat shielding and
rerouting should do the job.  I seem to recall noticing when I rebuilt the
tranny that that gear could be turned on the shaft with some effort.

 Regards, Glen Byrns
59 Bugeye