Re: NO Spridget Content...JAGUAR

To: <RBHouston@aol.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: NO Spridget Content...JAGUAR
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:09:12 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
84 xjs hess ans eisenhart?  opinion is at bennett jaguar where i was the
shop parts counter man for 5 years they were a pain in the glutes!  if it
needs any of the special hess and eisenhart conversion( u.s. modifications
company) stuff if my memory serves correctly you will have some very long
hours of trying to get water to flow up hill on a piece of hemp!  chevy carb
problems are easy enough if it is a quadrajet 4bbl. it probably has severly
worn base plate at throttle shaft holes. the base plate is made of aluminum
and the throttle shafts are a teflon(green color) coated steel shaft causing
an uneven wear problem also they leak fuel internally at the lead well
plugs.  these are all fixable problems though.  if it has been equiped with
a holley then it suffers from the stock cork metering plate gasket shrinkage
syndrome.  plus possibly the darn power valve wich ruptures  when ever the
engine backfires.  both carbs have their merrits.  and both are repairable!
you should be more concerned with the diferential out put shafts leaking!
not a cheap repair even if done at home.  also check the u-joints in the
rear half shafts for play.  there are other jag symptoms to check for.  make
positive the airconditioning works, heater operates in all modes and front
suspension bushings are all right.  now, this may sound very critical of a
great car.  but those were the mechanical aereas where we encountered
problems.  also have the rotors checked.  they were prone to warpage and
getting turned to true to cure brake pedal pulse. if theye are under spec.
jag only sells them in pairs and if i remember they were not cheap back a
few years ago,  also seemed to use brake pads more frequently than other
cars.  possibly that was due to enthusiastic driving from "sporty "drivers?
still a neat driver!  but sort of on the high maintainance side if owned by
someone who only did what was needed to get by rather than seriously
maintained to exacting specs.
chuck.
yeah-yeah!  i know-back to the rock.