RE: USPS stress..no LBC

To: "'RBHouston@aol.com'" <RBHouston@aol.com>
Subject: RE: USPS stress..no LBC
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:03:01 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
I agree on the stress as it applies to FedEx/RPS/UPS. I used to be a courier
for FedEx and it could be very stressful, especially before 10 a.m.
(delivery requirement) and between 2 p.m. and about 5:30 p.m. for pickups.
The "numbers" requirements seemed almost impossible to meet.

Then again I had days when I was calling other couriers to see if they
needed help. Some couriers even went to the movies! Of course this was 10
years ago before the market (and FedEx' market share) increased..

In addition to calorically challenged, we had a few that were directionally
challenged. They couldn't find the same place 2 days in a row, couldn't
remember street names, etc. They were washouts and went back to being
handlers or quit.

I also had friend who worked in the local (Oakland) USPS mail sort facility
for a while. He said he always felt like an inmate, working down on the
floor while the "wardens" walked around the catwalk perimeter above watching
them all the time. Needless to say he didn't last long. He said It paid well
but wasn't worth the stress.

Bill Hunt
64 MK II Sprite - HRBYTOY

<<  Do UPS
 for FedEx workers have such problems?  Maybe they make fun of the USPO
workers
 to relive stress? >>

<<As a former manager of an RPS terminal (now called FedX ground)..yes there
is
a fair amount of stress.  Work areas are assigned by zip codes, and some
distant engineer that probably never drove a street or walked through a
neighborhood has determined the number of stops per hour, number of packages

per stop, number of miles per stop, and average time for each of these to
let
you know how many stops per day...or packages per day a "person" can
deliver.

100% delivery of all stops is expected...that's what we customers pay for,
and if you are older than average, calorically challanged, only somewhat
smarter than a plant, or sick, disturbed, angry, upset at your wife, girl,
car .........etc..............  you can't do it, and someone (used to be me)

will have to call you into the office for a "business discussion".

Yea, it's stressful, and probably more so because it's the best paying job
most of them have ever had, and the stress is from the chance of losing
it.>>