rear hub problem

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: rear hub problem
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 15:03:46 -0800 (PST)
HELP!!
What is the minimum dissasembly required to change rear wheel studs on a
bugeye with steel wheels?

I'll need this answer tomorrow morning at the tire store.  I'll need to put
in two new studs on the left rear hub, removing the broken off remnant of
the snapped studs.  Will I need to remove the brake plate, or is there room
to push the new studs in from behind with the brakes in place?  I could
check my car to see, but its locked in the *&)+!@~ Goodyear shop for the night.

I completely screwed up and let the Goodyear guy tighten my lugnuts.  Even
though I had my wrench sitting on the seat ready to go, I let him do it
because he reached for a torque wrench instead of the dreaded air wrench.
Bad move, he had it set for 65 lbs and broke off a stud and wounded another.

I was hoping to take the car out Sunday, so I've got a couple of studs
heading my way from Mini-Mania for Saturday delivery.  The nice thing about
loyalty to one shop over the last 15 years is that they aren't even going to
quibble over this.

Thanks for your help as always,

Glen Byrns
59 Bugeye, current name: "Tripod"