Re: i am learning but have some more questions

To: midgetman@ix.netcom.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: i am learning but have some more questions
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 21:27:15 EST
In a message dated 3/27/2000 11:25:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
midgetman@ix.netcom.com writes:

<<  what can i buy for $1000? will it run? how good will it run?>>

That is a big depends, Rex.  Generally, for a thousand bucks you can get a
pretty good car in need of restoration--maybe a rolling restoration project.
It may start and run, which would be a bonus--For that price I would at least
expect a car that didnt have a lot of rust-through,meaning body panel
replacement.  Then you may run into someone just wanting to unload a great
little car--not show quality, but drivable right now.  I WOULD NOT pay a thou
for one with extensive rust, and the engine should start and run--maybe not
great, but start and run.  I saw a '73 Midget on a used car lot about a year
and a half ago for $1400.  It would start and run.  Body was acceptable to
drive around but needed the rolling restoration.  It was actually in pretty
good well-used condition for a car about 25 years old that has never been
restored.

<<should i think about a sprite or stick with my first idea midgets?>>

YES!  (Not trying to be a smarta**.  Either one--JUST GET ONE!!!!  If you
love the Midget, go for it!!!

<< what about the engines? some make jokes about the engine called 1500.>>

The 1500 is a fine engine.  Those who make jokes generally are those who do
not own one.  I happen to have a '79 Midget daily driver with a 1500
engine--it is very strong, very dependable.  Very seldom have a problem with
it and do not hesitate to drive it on long trips.  At the same time, I am
anxious to get my '67 Sprite on the road with the newly overhauled 1275 so I
can do some comparisons.  But don't be afraid of the 1500--It is a good
engine.  One thing to look into is pinning the thrust washers, which I won't
go into now--look it up in the archives.  If you DO buy one, ask the question
on here about pinning the thrust washers and we will go into it.

 <<my wife saw the pictures in whoreler that have the safety bumpers and she
doesnt like them but she wants safety. what do i do? >>

I truly think the rubber bumpers are great for very low speed impact, such as
you would get in a parking lot.  As far as Safety is concerned none of the
bumpers will make any difference.  The later cars DO have beams in the doors,
making the doors stronger.  The best protection is being careful, watching
your arse around trucks and SU's,  drive very defensively, and maintain the
vehicle, especially the brakes.

<<what about rollbars? >>

Good Idea in my opinion--I have none but will add them when I find some at
the right price.

<<does !
 !
 !
 anyone have airbags? can they be ordered from moss? >>

Sometimes I have an airbag--depends on who is riding with me.  8^)

--David C.