Re: 5-speed

To: "Bryan Vandiver" <Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <pauld@ekpc.com>
Subject: Re: 5-speed
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 09:21:28 -0800
I have an overdrive 5-speed in my RWA, (B210, I did it the hard way, with
out a kit).  Engine is stock except for header and 40 DCOE weber.  I have
the 3.73 rear end and love it.  With first gear syncro'd in the 5-speed box,
you can drop into first as you go around a rolling corner for a quick exit.
Since this is something you can't do with a straight cut 1st in the ribcase,
the higher numeric diffs allowed you to take the corners in 2nd.  If you
plan wild mods to the engine in the future that sacrifice low end torque for
high rpm horsepower, you can always swap back to a 3.9 or a 4.22  Also, I
had a local machine shop resurface my flywheel to accept the Nissan clutch
and pressure plate.  They also drilled and tapped the new holes for the
pressure plate mounting bolts and locating pins.  All told, I think the
flywheel machine work came to a whopping $30.  Best part is the Nissan
dealership is one block from my house, so parts are really close by.  And
yes, the original holes for mounting the stock BMC clutch and pressure plate
remain, if I or some other future owner ever wanted to return to stock.
David Riker
74 Midget
78 Midget
63 Falcon