Re: This Isuzu Trooper Starter Conversion Thingfb.com>

To: "Graziano, Michael" <michael.graziano@csfb.com>, "'Spridgets'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: This Isuzu Trooper Starter Conversion Thingfb.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:46:14 -0500
I recently put an Isuzu starter in my ' 67 vintage race Midget based on the
info from some old List messages. I got it at Pep Boys, but Advance Auto
also said they had it. I asked for an '89 or newer Trooper starter with
part number 16878. That is the key, it must be that part number regardless
of what car it's for. It bolted right up to the rear engine plate as though
it was made for it. I had to install a short jumper wire for the trigger
circuit but the counterman showed me how to do that. It does, however,
require some sheetmetal to be bashed in at the corner of the footwell. The
propane torch and use a hammer to dent the corner until the starter clears.
It did take a few in and outs of the engine to get it right.
Somebody subsequently mentioned that the direction of the bevel on the
starter drive is counter to the bevel on the flywheel and that this may
cause problems eventually. Makes sense, but I am keeping my fingers crossed
that it won't. Next time I pull the engine I will check it out. The starter
cost $89.99 at PepBoys and $73 at Advance Auto. Much cheaper than the $250
to $300 at the Spridget race shops and a better starter than the $50 Lucas
rebuilt. In the short term, I'm happy with it.

b At 03:34 PM 03/28/2000 -0500, Graziano, Michael wrote:
>OK.
>
>Who knows anything about this conversion?  Bolt in?  I've heard reference a
>few times now.
>
>A _reliable_ source tells me that he looked at the '89-'91 and '92-'96 Isuzu
>Trooper V6 starters and that there's no way they would work as a bolt in GR
>conversion.
>
>So what's the deal?
>
>Mike
>
>CREDIT | FIRST
>SUISSE | BOSTON
>FID Product Control
>Eleven Madison Avenue
>New York, NY 10010
>(212)325-8646
>

>This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
>confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information.  No
>If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all
>copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the
>sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute,
>print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended
>recipient. CREDIT SUISSE GROUP and each of its subsidiaries each reserve
>the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any
>views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except
>where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state
>them to be the views of any such entity.

Regards,

Bob Spruck
Sharpsburg, GA
' 67 Midget Vintage Racer