Re: Newbie???

To: Kinz@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Newbie???
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 10:21:08 EST
In a message dated 3/30/00 10:42:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, Kinz@aol.com
writes:

<<     My name is Chris and I'm considering purchasing a 1965 Austin Healey
 Sprite from a guy I work with.  I know absolutely nothing about these neat
 looking little cars.  The car looks like it is in pretty good shape (no body
 rust and decent chrome) but the top is shot, a lot of cosmetic work, and it
 isn't running.  It needs a new distributor cap and a set of wires before I
 can even hear it run.  He wants $2000 for it.  Is this a good deal?   What
 should I look for?  Problem areas? >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It sounds like $2000 is too much if the engine is not running.  A tune up and
a set of wires is VERY inexpensive.  Do the tune up and see if it runs.  If
not, it is a $500 parts car or resto project.  The top (correctly called a
hood in British cars) is an easy job to replace for $150 - $300 depending on
the quality you buy.

If the engine runs, it probably is worth up to $2000.  If you can determine
how long it has been sitting, you can tell if the gas is good or not, and
whether you will have to rebuild the brake system.  If you can't find out how
long the car has been sitting, rebuild the brakes anyway!  It doesn't matter
how fast the car can go, IT HAS TO STOP!  Again, brakes are a relatively easy
job, even for a novice.

Good luck, and stay in touch with the list.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport