Re: RE: Fw: more info on virus (ABSOLUTELY NO LBC)

To: Adrian Barnes <adrian@workgroup.net>
Subject: Re: RE: Fw: more info on virus (ABSOLUTELY NO LBC)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 18:52:22 -0400
Cc: "\'Bryan Vandiver\'" <Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM>, spridgets@autox.team.net
heh heh.  I had my Commodore 128 all the way up to my Freshman year in college
('94).  I'd have used it longer if the drives didn't die on me.  And no,  I
don't mean Hard Drives.  There weren't any of those.  5 1/4 floppies, baby!

I still miss playing Gunship and Red Storm Rising till all hours of the night.
Anyone have them for the PC?  <grin>

sigh....

Michael

PS:  Anyone in the NYC region looking for a job in Derivatives Product Control?
 We're hiring (CSFP) and can't find anyone that's any good.....

Adrian Barnes <adrian@wor

kgroup.net> wrote:
> Not many other discussions going on today, so perpetuate I will...

Somebody had to be accepted as a standard.  No matter how unpopular MS is,
they became the desktop home and office user system.  Nobody else stepped up
to the plate, so the market picked Microsoft.  DOS was never meant to take
off like it did, it just did.  Apple had plenty of chances to dominate, but
there were too many bad strategies.  For example, they kept a closed
architecture, which prevented many companies from developing hardware or
software for the OS.  On the other hand, Microsoft's strategy was to work on
the lowest common denominator, and it worked.  Anybody could make hardware
or software to work with DOS and Windows, so their popularity and user base
grew rapidly at a time when any other platform was too expensive (CRAY or
Sun or AS/400 or MVS for the home user?).

Commodore 64...now THERE was a computer!  Load * ,8 ,1

:-)

The whole AOL/Netscape/IE thing cracks me up, but such is life.  I think at
least AOL uses Netcenter.

adrian