Head gasket probs... Felpro or BECK/ARNLY (longish)

To: "Spridgets list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Head gasket probs... Felpro or BECK/ARNLY (longish)
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 01:41:47 -0700charset="Windows-1252"
I recently had a valve job done on my head and got everything put together
today after work. Total bummer the problem is still there but even worse. I
have mist\steam\ river coming out of the exhaust pipe and water is dropping
faster than I can fill it. My new oil is already milky. Spark plug #2 looks
like it has never fired a spark. #3 looks a bit wet. #1 and #4 perfect
caramel color. I am however completely frustrated.

FOUR things come to mind that I didn't do "right" or could be possible
problems.

1) You know those exhaust rings that go between manifold and head? I found
em laying on the bench after everything was assembled in the engine bay.
Doh! I don't know if they are crucial to exhaust leaks or if they are just
smog equipment but they aren't in my engine.

2) My head had air injection ports that were stopped up with special
headless bolts. Very hard to take these 4 guys out, but with 3 people we
finally did it. I got some hardened bolts and used those instead. A little
goup and a copper washer should insure a good seal... but it isn't
"factory". Oh, BTW I didn't know my 69 Sprite had a smog pump stock. Is this
why there is an ear off my thermostat housing? Or is my head from a later
car and therefore need a different head gasket? (see below)

3) Head Gasket. I really hope this is the prob. I got one (a gasket set
actually) from Moss (they tempt me so much with their catalogs) it says made
in England on it and is some kind of tin\metal lined with plastic\rubber. I
used a few layers of Copper spray on it and everything. My father leisurely
told me how he was playing around with my stuff yesterday and noticed some
holes in the gasket didn't line up with the galleries on the head, and even
blocked some off. DOH! Shouldn't a 1275 gasket be a 1275 gasket? there
were\are no discrepancies year to year, is there? I must have been brain
dead not to check this stuff out.

4) The head was tested and ground at the machine shop for flatness and all
that. But I never checked the block. It could be warped I guess in the
middle and that's why #2 and #3 are wet while the others are fine. Something
else to check while the head is off.

If my current head gasket (from MOSS) doesn't match the head\block... at
least I will have tracked down the problem. I am going to need a
replacement. In the archives it seems Fel Pro works pretty good. Couldn't
find much on Beck\arnley... any suggestions head gasket wise? It won't be
from Moss that is for sure.

Oh, and I replaced the head nuts with some grade 8 bigger size nuts found at
the bolt shop. Really looks good and works better with the torque wrench.

Anyway what ever I do, I basically have to start over. At the minimum, the
head comes off, head gasket replaced. (No Sprite till this weekend) And at
the maximum engine is removed and while I'm at it... datsun tranny goes in
etc... etc.. etc... ( no sprite for the Summer.) But at least it goes fast
on these small engines. I was amazed how quickly I got everything
disassembled. And somewhat less amazed how I got everything back together.

Hope your cars are doing better
Thanks for your never-ending help and patience.

Toby

1969 AH Sprite
1971 Fj40