Re: LBC Content

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: LBC Content
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:47:50 -0400
Yep, the original list was 22 people strong, I think. According to
the autox info, we're up to 23!! :)

Latest example of what Frank writes about below: James Kleemeyer
bought a $75 RB Midget and is selling parts off of it at very
reasonable prices. How reasonable? He mailed me a couple of parts and
only mildly suggested a handful of dollars and shipping expenses.
Thanks Jim! The money is in the mail.

Jeff

At 12:46 PM -0400 6/30/00, Valentine wrote:
>Larry,
>
>The "List" started several years ago (Oct 1997) with a handful of
>people.  At that time we all tossed around ideas of how the list should
>work, what rules it should have, etc.
>
>I saved a lot of those email messages because I was impressed with the
>ideas from several of the original listers.  Some listers came from the
>MG list (that was having some sort of "battle" at the time).  Some were
>introduced to the Spridgets list by one of the operators of the Team.net
>site, (Roger Garnett).
>
>Everyone involved, invited everyone they knew with access to a computer
>and an interest in "Spridgets" to join in.
>
>Something Frank wrote says it all;

>Sat, 18 Oct 1997 21:30:17 -0400:
>
>Truth of the matter is that Spridget people are "REAL" down to earth
>friendly people. The following is a quote from a good friend of mine who
>owns a big Healey. It was said at Sprite Bash 93.
>
>"You Sprite guys are truly genuine down to earth people, you take parts
>off you own car to fix a total strangers car! You can open someone elses
>bonnet with out them having a fit!  Nobody is trying to stab anyone in
>the back. And you have fun with your little cars!"
>
>I didn't say it, I'll just never forget it!
>
>Frank Clarici
>______________
>
>Glad I'm here!
>
>Kevin V.
>

>Larry Cogan wrote:
> >
> > John:  When you posted your comment yesterday, I ruminated about your
> > plea for less banter and obligatory LBC content.  Ive been on the list
> > about a year and either because of my location or personality, Ive
> > only met one list member. (He aint much but boy is his wife cute!)
> > But because of the rich tapestry of  banter mixed with wise and
> > wiseassed remarks, Ive come to feel a friendship with many list
> > members.  As time passes you will come to almost anticipate who will
> > say what next!  This sort of thing adds a fabric and a context to what
> > you read.  It develops over time.  I came to Spridgets after being on
> > a list for a fifties American car.  That car, new, was the province of
> > upper middle age/class folks.  For some reason the list reflects that
> > today.  It is run wth an iron hand, the language police are rampant,
> > no one would dare post a non content message, and if one dares deviate
> > from the rules that person is summarily delisted!  In short the list
> > is boring.  I still have the car, still get a digest of the list and
> > immediately delete it when it arrives.  I wouldnt drive twenty miles
> > to meet with any of them.  Im sure they are nice folks, but I dont
> > "know" any of them after three years!  This is a hell of a lot more
> > fun.  And always a whole lot more car useful than the other.  Give it
> > time and as the twisted individuals emerge you will salivate with glee
> > every time a new list msg makes the bell ring.  Welcome to the
> > list....say onboard, youre in for a hell of a ride.  Larry, Melbourne,
> [...]

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Assistant Professor, Emory Eye Center, Atlanta, GA, USA
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision, http://www.molvis.org/molvis
mailto:jboatri@emory.edu