RE: Tranny help needed

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: RE: Tranny help needed
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 01:18:22 -0500
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hi Frank,

Couple of things to ask and check out.  Do you have the correct shift stick
in this rib case?  Smooth case stick fits, but is sloppy as the distance of
 the lower ball is closer to the larger ball on the shifter than it is on
the rib case shifter.

The other possibiity is the nylon piece in the front part of the remote
where the front lever selector fits into the control lever split and went
south.  This can also be pushed up too far on this front lever selector
during assembly.    If this is the case, remote removal is needed to
replace it.

The other possibilities is this. Both the front and rear lever selector are
fastened to the control shaft with pinch bolts and woodruff keys.  Not
likely that either have come loose, but still a possibility.

Hope this helps.  I can scan a parts pix page and send it to you if you
need it.  Just ask.

Later, Paul A

FROM:   Frank Clarici, INTERNET:spritenut at Exit109.com
TO:     Spridget List, INTERNET:spridgets@autox.team.net
DATE:   12/9/00 10:07 PM

Re:     Tranny help needed

Transmission gurus

I am having a problem with a very sloppy shifter.
67 Sprite, ribcase. I can barely find 3rd gear as the shifter goes way
too far to the right. and on coming back always manage to find first
instead of 3rd. It's lost in the free play somewhere. I have never
expierienced this problem.
Blown trannys, sure, piece of cake, but a super sloppy shifter?
I replaced the rubber collar on the shifter, the nylon bush is fine, the
anti rattle plunger and spring are there as is the locating peg.
I did find what looked like a tooth when I changed the gear oil. But
since all gears work, and work fine, it must be a lock out peg or
something.
So where did it come from? How can I put it back without yanking the
tranny?
Has anyone replaced the top "remote" of a ribcase while it was still in
the car?

Any ideas on what/where to look for what is causing the shifter to be
such a mess.
It feels like a Triumph shifter!

--
Frank Clarici