positive crankcase ventilation problems

To: morris@autox.team.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: positive crankcase ventilation problems
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 11:16:08 -0800 (PST)
Our '59 Traveller came to us with a tired 1275 from an '71 Midget.
It had twin SUs, an unknown cam, a stretched chain, and a loose
wrist pin. The only crankase venting was a hose from the valve
cover to the base of one of the air filter housings.

I rebuilt the engine: bored to 1380, put a mild cam, belt
timing case, single HIF44 carb, etc etc. I put a K&N breather
on the valve cover and called it good.

But now, it's starting to seep oil at all joints. I'm guessing
that the breather has filled with oil and isn't breathing
any more, and rather than just clean it, it's time to build a
real PVC system.

The question is ... what? There's an undrilled boss on the intake
manifold that I could drill and tap and plumb to the vent cover and a
vent on the front plate (currently plugged) via a PCV valve. Or I could
vent the valve cover to the intake manifold and use the front plate to
provide "fresh" air from the air filter (to prevent the crankcase from
having too much of a vacuum?) But I don't know how that will affect my
needle choice, if I have the right oil filler cap (sealed or not for
this setup?), etc. etc. I'm tempted to just do what the PO did and vent
to the air filter, but am a bit concerned that it won't be effective at
idle and will just clog the air filter with oil.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
chris