RE: Engine backing plate

To: Patton Dickson <kpatton@telocity.com>
Subject: RE: Engine backing plate
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 15:44:16 -0500
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hi Patton,

I think I can answer this one for you.

The 1098's and all 1275's that came with ribcase trannies had the thick
cast palte on them.  The 1098's and 948's that came with the smooth case
all were supplied with the stamped steel plate.

Now when you put a ribcase on an engine, any size, with a stamped steel
plate, the input shaft of the ribcase protrudes furthur out the front of
the gearbox than on the smooth case, and with the thin plate on the engine
will sometimes make the input shaft bottom out in the end of the
crankshaft.  This will make it so you apparently have no neutral, no matter
how well you release the clutch disc.

If it bottoms out severely, it will destroy the input bearing shaft pretty
rapidly.  If i's just a bit sticky, you might have that bearing survive but
you will have real problems getting the input shaft to change speeds from
the crankshaft.  This is what you are experiencing.

Just put on the thicker plate, and in the process, try to determine if
there has been any damage to the input shaft bearing.  If there is, then
you should replace it.

BTW, if you have a 2 inch main 1098, you will need a 2inch main backing
plate or you will need to modify a 1 3/4 inch plate to fit.  A 1275 plate
will also work, just need the 1275 oil pump cover and the 1275 engine
backing plate gasket.

Later, Paul A

FROM:   "Patton Dickson", INTERNET:kpatton at telocity.com
TO:     "Charles Hickey", INTERNET:chickey2@home.com
CC:     "Spridget List", INTERNET:spridgets@autox.team.net
DATE:   12/16/00 10:44 PM

Re:     RE: Engine backing plate

Charles,

My 67 is different, and that is the only one I have experience with.  I am
forwarding your email to the Sprite Midget Mailing List.  Someone there
should be able to help

Patton

To list guys...  Its been awhile :)..  I'm still around, just in digest
mode... Charles's email is chickey2@home.com