Starting problem fixed?

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starting problem fixed?
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 18:31:22 -0500
Gang

Thanks for all the help on the A40 starting problem.
Yes I had to jump start it this morning because it was 20* out.
But late this afternoon my daughter calls to tell me she is broke down
on the side of the road. No spark at the plugs.
So I grabbed a spare dizzy and coil, met her and checked for spark. She
was right, no spark at the plugs but I had spark at the points.
Check coil for spark, it has spark.
So cap or rotor must be shot. Replace rotor, car fires right up.
I think when I replaced the dizzy the other day I used the original
rotor because the cap and rotor were new in August.
No cracks, no burns, no wear marks, just a non conductive Lucas rotor.
(one of those green box jobs) I have read that others have had Lucas
rotor problems. Anybody know where to buy  Bosch rotors for our cars?
Now milage on this rotor may be 1500 at best, probably more like 1000.
I can not check milage on anything ever since Nisonger rebuilt the
speedo last year. Oh they did a great job, it's dead on and works great
but something inside is missing from the odometer as it goes to 999 and
back to zero. Tiffany likes it this way, it never has 1000 miles on it.
So we live with it.
Meanwhile a complete tune up in August but the car sat or was driven
only by me every once in a while because Tiff bought a Mitsubitchi. Now
that she hates jap cars as much as her old man, she sold it last week
and is driving the Austin everyday again. So in thinking, this rotor
probably doesn't have 500 miles on it.
If it fires up tomorrow, I will know what the problem was.
If not, I will continue to go nuts trying to figure it out.
--

Happy Healeydays
Frank Clarici