Re: Can't start

To: patricia.sauthoff@Colorado.EDU, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Can't start
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 22:51:52 EST
In a message dated 12/21/2000 9:49:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
patricia.sauthoff@Colorado.EDU writes:

> but I can't get it
> to turn over.  It sounded earlier like it was going to, but I didn't have
> the
> time to try and try, as I was almost late to work.  Now that I'm home and
> it's
> dark, and colder it's just not turning over.  I spent about 20 minutes
> trying,
> and checking everything I know to do, check the battery, which is fine,
> check
> the spark, which is fine.  Well that's about all I know how to do.  What
> else

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Is the engine not turning at all, or is it turning and turning and not
catching?

If it isn't turning at all and the battery is fine, you are not getting
enough power to the starter.  First, check the battery cables.  Clean and
tight is what you want at both ends.  Next check the ground strap that
connects the engine block to the frame.  I don't know where it is in the Bug,
but in my '77 Midget it is in front on the right (passenger) side, down at
the bottom of the engine.  Again, you want clean and tight.  If still no go,
look at the connections at the starter solenoid and starter motor.  Clean and
tight?

Remember, cold, think oil will slow down the engine until it heats up.  This
is one of the advantages of synthetic oil.

If the engine just turns and turns but won't catch, you either have no spark
(at the plugs that is!) or no fuel is getting to the cylinders.  You said you
checked for spark.  Was it a nice blue, strong spark?  If yes, you are
probably not getting fuel.  Is the pump clicking?  After you try to start it,
are the plugs wet and smell of gas? (You have to take one out to check.)  If
yes, I suspect a bigger problem.  If no, try spraying starter fluid (ether)
into the air cleaner and see if it tries to catch.  If it starts with starter
fluid, everything is OK, but fuel isn't getting in.

Good luck.  Keep us posted.

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 Midget