Re: Silicone Brake fluid users

To: Charles Christ <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Silicone Brake fluid users
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 19:10:46 -0500
Cc: Swift Justice <samesq@pacbell.net>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Charles Christ wrote:

> well gee then why does my bugeye still not leak after 11 years of silicone
> fluid?   it certainly does not have a mechanical switch.  so what's the
> deal?

Chuck

The switches do NOT leak (well most do not that is) but they also do not
operate the stop lights after a few months.
The switch I bought was "specifically designed" for use with silicone
fluids. So here we go again with "designed" and never TESTED!!! until I,
the worlds guinea pig (and not an Italian slob) buys one.
I have used  OEM, NOS, tiawan replacements, and indonesian replacments,
only the indonesian one leaked but they all failed to operate the stop
lights after just a few months.

Ron Francis wire works has been intouch with me. He wants to get to the
bottom of the fault. He would gladly replace the switch but what good is
that, it's like Crapsman tools, sure replace it once a month.
He is going after the manufacturer because the manufacturer claims 300%
longer life. 300% longer then what? My original stop light switch lasted
40 years so his should last 120 years. Right? and even when used with
silicone fluid because it is "silicone fluid compatable"

I am going to a mechanical stop light switch, I have had enough with
pressure switches and silicone. But as far as the silicone fluid goes, I
have no complaints other then the pressure switch. From what I have
read, the fluid eventually insulated the contacts causing the failure.
And if you ask me, the A40 with silicone, is by far the most trouble
free braking system of any of the LBCs I have ever done. Always a hard
pedal, never any leaks, nothing has gone wrong with it in over 3 years
except a leaky or non conductive brake light switch.
OTOH, PIECES always needs a pump for a hard pedal and it has been bleed
many times since it's new master cylinder and complete hydraulic change.
My Bugeye has never had a hard pedal and it's all new within 2 years,
and I have rebled everything a few times, I even replaced the fluid this
summer, no hard pedal on the first try. All the "problem" LBCs are using
Castrol LMA but I have been pumping british car brake pedals for 30
years, it's just a way of life with them.

--

Happy Healeydays
Frank Clarici