Frostbite 200

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Frostbite 200
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 18:34:11 -0800 (PST)
Wow! what a great ride.  I packed up some tools, the jack, a large cup of
coffee, bundled up with a thick sweater, jacket, wind breaker, leather
gloves, wool hat, and for good measure, a muffler (knitted, not welded).
Though the weather was forboding, with a thick fog bank hiding the hills, I
set off at about 9 AM.

There was practically no one on the roads and I went as fast or slow as I
felt at the moment.  Once up into the fog I had to use the wipers which
functioned beautifully(they better after spending a whole week completely
rebuilding them top to bottom).  I stopped briefly to photograph the MGA
hulk rusting in the weeds at the top of one hill, and headed around Lake
Berryessa.  In and out of heavy overcast, wipers on, wipers off, I raced
around the lake without meeting one car.  Climbing up to Pope Valley, the
overcast eased a bit and I was able to photograph "Litto's Hubcap Ranch".
Its actually a California Landmark now, plaque and all.  The old guy died in
1985 way into his nineties.  The place is amazing with over 2000 hubcaps
adorning every inch of fence around the entire property.  Sculptures of
hubcaps, hubcaps inset into the driveway.  He even surrounded the state
landmark plaque with a shrine of hubcaps.  NO! I will not look for rare LBC
hubcaps for you. There are three dogs that discourage you from getting too
close to the fences. But if I saw a few good Morris caps.......

Motoring over Big Canyon road to Clear Lake was great on the tiny
untravelled one lane road.  A short dash on the big highway and a right turn
down Cache Creek Canyon led to a bummer of a downhill with a rice rocket
ahead that would rip the straights and block on the curves where the Sprite
ate him alive. Luckily he turned in at the Indian Bingo at Rumsey and the
road was mine the rest of the way home.

The car ran great, about 28MPG, turbo whining on demand.  Other than very
cold ears and the taste of old coffee on my teeth, I was in heaven.

If some lister knows of a site where I can post my pictures for free, I'll
get them up right away.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 Bugeye