RE: [spitfire-enthusiast] don't trust your SU's - wow!

To: "Paul A. Asgeirsson" <PAsgeirsson@compuserve.com>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [spitfire-enthusiast] don't trust your SU's - wow!
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 01:52:02 -0800 m> om>
check out the lone webber carb on that page: here is the description:

Weber 32/36 DGV downdraft air fuel mixers/crude metering devices

Complete with manifold adapters, air cleaners, linkage.  Vastly inferior to
badly tuned stock SU's (or our Reman SU's), these were taken in as cores out
of pity.  We are having problems pawning these off on VW Beetle owners, so
here they are for sale.  $100/pair complete.  Used, untested, needs complete
overhaul, ect....No warranty, and I will deny ever selling them to you.

Check out the web  page of Burlin Fuel Systems at:

http://www.ztherapy.com/master_price_list.htm

They are looking for cores and if you send in 6 sets they will give you
back one new set.  They also have a new 4 hr video devoted only to SU type
carbs.

Paul A

> anyone having carb... running.... stumbling.... vacuum...
> problems, beware.
>
> I've found two sets now with the same part numbers,
> and they are not the same. One has a carb 'ported' vacuum
> tap, one doesn't and they have the exact same number on
> them.
>
> The inside 'port' that feeds the jet pipe at the bottom of
> the float bowls
> vary as well. I've found one is a small round hole rather
> than the
> 'square' sediment trap everyone is use to.
>
> The dashpot pistons... same story.  The little dumbbell on
> the piston
> is different lengths as well (the little free floating piece
> on the
> end of the piston.  8103 and 8114 are suppose to
> differentiate
> this, but not so.
> This allows one to let the piston move father than the other
> before
> real 'damping' kicks in....
>
> I'm bummed... I could go on and on.
>
> No wonder everyone has so many problems, when not knowing
> what you're starting with.

///