Re: Saturn Brake Question (no lbc)

To: chuck <chuckc@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Saturn Brake Question (no lbc)
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 08:27:17 -0500
Cc: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
FYI, y'all,
         Almost* every car that has the handbrake or emergency brake
operating on disc brakes, front or rear, uses a system whereby the caliper
piston is threaded onto a rod or pin in the center of the caliper body. In
these cases the piston must be turned to thread itself back into the body.
Note: this is not always clockwise! The pistons will have a groove or
notches both to facilitate the turning in AND to accommodate pins or bumps
on the back of the pad. The  protrusions on the pad must fall into the
space on the piston so that the piston is kept from turning when the
handbrake is applied, thus unscrewing the rod from the piston and applying
the brake.
         Anyway, hope this helps.
         Peter c
* Volvos, Benzs, some Toyotas, and no doubt others, use handbrake shoes
operating within a drum which is part of the disc.
----