NEWSFLASH - Spridgets at Carlisle

To: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: NEWSFLASH - Spridgets at Carlisle
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 08:51:57 -0700
Our first trip to Carlisle, and what a good one it was.

We got to meet a number of Listers and unfortunately missed a few who
were still scouring the flea market area thinking there was something
that we had missed. :-)

Toby's shirts certainly do help identify others with our affliction. I
paid respect to Larry and Amy by not wearing my green Spridget shirt and
donning my pink one instead. (Thanks Toby.)

Finally met Frank. He had his hands on the other end of a set of NOS
Bugeye rubber mats priced at $10.00. (Just kidding.) It was really nice
to put faces together with names and also see how central Carlisle is
for so many listers in the East. Mike came down from Canada, George from
Ohio, One of the Larrys, and all the other listers.

It was thought that the highlight of the show was going to be the new
Mini, but the new Mini didn't hold a candle to the tastefully done, but
highly modified Miata with the '59 Caddy fins grafted onto the rear and
the 2000 Celica headlights installed in the front end. (Amy are you sure
you still want listers to do body work on your car after they saw this
mod?)

In the flea market there WERE some bargains, not many if you were behind
Frank and Joe. Someone beat me to the Innocenti parts. I suspect that it
was the truck seen speeding away from the fairgrounds with the distinct
pizza smell.

But seriously, there were some good buys. Some rare NOS 1970 Sprite
emblems, NOS RWA bumpers, nice literature from Jerry LaBant and finally
a nice period finned valve cover that I talked the sellers into removing
from their (ahem) somewhat rusty Bugeye for sale after a series of
negotiations.

Loads and loads of Spridget stuff for sale, TR-6, Spitfire, Jaguar, etc.
Also Volvo, VW, some misc German. Loads of Citroens and Peugeots on the
show field, a 6-wheeled Geo Storm (no comment), a Siata Spring, a
Moretti, a Lancia Stratos, Fiats, Alfas, Panteras, some Datsun Z's and
SP's, B's, Triumphs, VW's, and finally more Kit Cars than the average
person would know existed.

The only thing missing was rain.

My first time and a nice time it was.

jay