Re: Sticky shifter

To: pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com
Subject: Re: Sticky shifter
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 12:04:51 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net, team-thicko@autox.team.net
I've got this same problem with 1st gear, and I recently had the tranny
rebuilt (just for cost of parts, long story, so don't tell me to take it
back to the guy).  I'd be interested in any solution.  Not a big deal for
me, since I never use first on the track, just an annoyance.

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD
'74 MG Midget vintage racer
'88 Jaguar XJ-S

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001 09:42:50 -0700 Gerard Chateauvieux
<pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com> writes:
> Has anyone ever experienced a sticking shifter on a ribcase before
> (of
> course you have...'-)
>
> This is the '71 Midget again and 3rd gear will very occasionally
> stick in
> gear and won't come out again without a lot of force. I'm thinking
> the
> wrong length detent spring (too strong) in the inspection cover. But
> guess it could be a detent problem or a shift fork that needs some
> fine
> tuning. This only does this in 3rd gear (not forth) and it is also
> quirly
> to put into 3rd. When shifting from second, you must draw the
> shifter
> toward forth a bit before shifting into 3rd.
>
>  Any way to correct this with the trans in the car? I think I can
> get to
> the side cover in the car, but I'm not sure. Anyone know if the
> earlier and
> later (reverse switch) housing are compatible to be switched?
>
> I really need some list wisdom on this one.
>
> Gerard
>
> --

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!