1275 Timing Question

To: Spridgets List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1275 Timing Question
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 08:59:47 -0300
Listers,

         Having just joined this list last week, this topic has probably
been covered many times before but can someone point me to an FAQ location
that can give me the tune-up specs. for my 1973 Midget with a 1275 engine
which has been de-smoged? The distributor vacuum advance is presently on
the intake manifold and obviously gives full vacuum advance at idle so I am
puzzled about what timing advance I should set it to at idle. I'm guessing
it would not be the factory recommendation of 9 degrees BTDC with the
vacuum line disconnected. Most engines have this vacuum line attached to a
carb. port just ahead of the throttle plate.

         Anyone out there "been there, done that" with success?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob Hamilton, Waverley, NS, Canada
Home of the 1973 Yellow Midget and Assorted Sunbeam Talbots.
Home Page: www.accesswave.ca/~hamilton