Re: mounting tires on wire wheels

To: "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: mounting tires on wire wheels
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 09:52:34 -0700
Derf, et al -

Another approach.

I mount my own, manually, using spoon-type tire (tyre?) irons such as used
to come with the tool kit.  I lay the wheel face down on an old quilt and
put the tires on from the rear.  This keeps from getting rim scratches on
the $75 each paint job.  I can slip the tire on the rim  as needed to
reduce the weight required to balance them.  The little green mark on the
bead that is supposed to go next to the valve stem may not be exact.  I
balance them on a static bubble balancer to better than 1/8 ounce (wheels
were balanced at truing after painting.) and put the weights on the inside
rim.  They work great on the highway and in Solo II events.  Regarding
valve stems, my Classico inner tubes have threaded metal stems with rim
lock nuts.

Clay L.
'67 Sprite