Carburetor Issues

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carburetor Issues
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:44:03 -0700 teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f6KIkqx21763
Hi All:

I have owned my 1967 Midget now for around 3 months
now and put approximately 1500 miles on it. It is a
lot of fun and I love it.

The car was tuned up by a British car shop shortly
before I acquired it and the car has been running
great. It recently developed two problems:

1. A high speed (under load) intermittent miss.
Very short in duration  a fraction of a second.

2. A rattle  at first only when engaging the
clutch but now at all times the engine is above
1k RPSs  I have IDed the rattle as a loose (stripped)
air cleaner bolt.

The missed increased in occurrence (not duration) as
the rattle and looseness of the air cleaner increased.

To me it seems a fuel starvation related problem is
causing the miss.

Questions:

1. I see no inline fuel filter. Is there one (two)
built into the SUs?

2. Do you think the miss is related to the stripped bolt?

3. Is this kind of miss an indication that the carbs
are out of adjustment?

4. What is the best way to fix the stripped bolt?

Thanks,

Ray Sides, CPA, ABV
C. Delury & Associates
One Capitol Mall