Re: Distributor Drive & Pinch Bolt

To: Tyson Sherman <mts3@ra.msstate.edu>
Subject: Re: Distributor Drive & Pinch Bolt
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 00:18:17 -0400
Hello Tyson,

TS> Tonight was the first time my wife drove her red
TS> 77 Midget in about a year, and it wasn't very
TS> pleasant!

TS> We bled (mostly anyway) the brakes so they're
TS> working and proceeded to drive down our street.

TS> We made it about 1/2 a mile just about to the home
TS> of a red 75 Midget when it died.

TS> After a few attempts to get it goign and drive 20
TS> feet each time, I realized that the distributor
TS> pinch bolt isn't holding the distributor.

TS> It's a 77 Midget 1500 with the 45DM disty removed
TS> and replaced with a 25D points style.

TS> How do I make the pinch bolt grab the distributor
TS> correctly?  I've tried several times and through
TS> the process of timing it, it always comes loose.

I have the same setup and have had the same problem.  My problem was I
had the dizzy in 180 out.  The drive dog will grab and the dizzy will
turn, but if you look closely at the dizzy you will see that it is not
seated all the down.  By that I mean the lip is above the clamping
ring.  Try rotating the rotor or dizzy shaft by 180 degrees then
reinstall the dizzy.  I bet that it goes all the way down.  Then fix
you plug wires because they are now wrong.

--
Best regards,
 Bill                            mailto:w.gilroy@verizon.net