compression test

To: "Spridget mail list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: compression test
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 08:42:05 -0400
Hi list,

Since I will be transferring all the mechanicals of my '79 midget to another
shell I'm currently fixing, I figured I't try and asses the engine before I
pulled it to swap into the new body.

I ran a compression check on 3 of 4 cylinders; I didn't take out the #1 plug
that's so cleverly wedged behind the alt. on the 1500 engine.

Anyway, here are the readings:

     1     2     3     4
dry       130   125   135
wet       165   155   155

The carb isn't tuned, the valve lash hasn't been checked, the timing is
probably close. The engine runs fairly well with the primary charcoal canister
disconnected from the carb and the anti-run-on valve. Idles about 900-1200 rpm.
Connect up the canister, and the idle drops to about 500 rpm and sounds like it
wants to die.

So the all important question is, while the engine is out, do I need a rebuild?
The car has 42,000 miles on it, which is probably original.

TIA,

-=Chris

Chris King   - cbking@alum.rpi.edu