rear axle housing

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: rear axle housing
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 11:41:13 -0400
I'm finally switching over from wire wheels to steel wheels. The PO
converted the car to wires several years ago. I understand that the
correct wire wheel rear axle housing is 0.5 to 0.75 inches narrower
than the correct steel wheel axle housing. However, I don't know if
the PO simply used wire wheel axles in a steel wheel housing or
actually made the complete switch. I have a spare steel wheel axle
housing from another car. I have attempted to measure from the brake
back plate to the approximate center line of the two axle housings.
It's not as precise or easy as I'd expected. I _think_ they are both
the same length, so I'd just as soon avoid all the work of switching
out the housings if I don't need to.

So, I have two questions for the list:

1. In case my measurements were wrong, would installing steel wheel
axles in a wire wheel housing be a go/no go thing? That is, if the
housing on the car is a one for wire wheels, will the steel wheel
axles just not fit, or will they fit but be damaged with use?

2. Does anyone know where the BL part number is on the axle housings?
Both of mine are less than clean. I can't find the numbers, but I
know that they are different for the two different types of housing.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Assistant Professor, Emory Eye Center, Atlanta, GA
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
<http://www.molvis.org/molvis>
<mailto: jboatri@emory.edu>